Saint John Vianney Parish was founded in 1952 by the Archdiocese of San Francisco to serve the Catholic community in East San Jose. Prior to that, the parish had been a mission of old Saint Patrick’s Church in Downtown San Jose. Fr. Fred Cook, the founding pastor, celebrated the first mass on Easter Sunday 1952 in the historic house that now serves as the rectory. From the very beginning, St. John Vianney has been an active, bi-lingual Catholic Community.
Christmas 1953 saw the first Mass in the lovely Spanish style church building, located on Hyland Ave and the parish school opened the following year.
For more history of the parish, click on the links below:
Fiesta History (coming soon)
First Holy Communion on 9 May 1959 Do you know any of these darling kids? Douglas Keith Wozny, St. John Vianney School, Class of 1965, sent us this photo. He says he is in the back row fourth from the left.
Bits of SJV History
1964 PARISH RE-ORGANIZATION
As the Second Vatican Council came to a close, parishes all over the world adapted and changed to reflect the new expectations for a modern church of the People of God. St. John Vianney Parish hired a lay theologian and set about re-organizing the parish. Below is a transcript of the documents created at that time. It describes a parish very different than our parish today but also very different than the parishes of the previous generation.
1964 CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
(This document was created around 1964 for St. John Vianney Parish and transcribed by Ellen Turner in September, 2015 so the parish would not lose this history.)
PARISH MANUAL 1964
1964 PARISH GUILDS
(This document was created around 1964 for St. John Vianney Parish and transcribed by Ellen Turner in August, 2015 so the parish would not lose this history.)
Parish Manual: Chapter Four
THE GUILDS OF ST. JOHN VIANNEY PARISH